Monday, March 30, 2009

Frugal, Frivolous or Foolish

As I mentioned in my last post, I want to begin to look at what ways we can best utilize out crafting budgets. I've decided that as I purchase new items, I will try them out and then share my opinion of the purchase as it relates to the following categories: frugal, frivolous or foolish. To me, frugal does not mean "cheap." It means making a well thought out purchase (regardless of price) that will have a positive long term outcome. In papercraft terms it means purchasing a product that will be used over and over again with good results. I define frivolous as making an impulse purchase that may only get used once or is a fad. Buying a glue stick when you already have 6 others, 5 boxes of splits and an ATG gun is a frivolous purchase. Buying the latest circle cutter when you already have something that cuts a perfect circle is frivolous. A foolish purchase is one of those purchases that either just doesn't work or sits and collects dust because you can't figure out how to work it or the results are not what was expected.

We all make impulse purchases just because we "have to have it" and that's OK. My goal is periodically review items that I purchase and share with you my thoughts. As a make a purchase, I will discuss it and then class it as frugal, frivolous or foolish. I also have some ideas to share on organization and multiple ways to use an item so that all of our crafting expenses are frugal. Remember, what I share are my opinions and nothing more that that.

For Now, Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

Penny said...

I need to start doing this as I am finding that we are always broke lately.