Saturday, January 19, 2013

More Scrap Express with Close To My Heart

Yesterday, I talked about what I am doing to make the new trends in scrapbooking my own.  The more I think about it, the more I understand the attraction of the simpler styles of scrapbooking.  I like it and think that there has been some terrific work done.  But, I am beginning to realize that it just isn't MY style.  I am working to find a middle ground.  A quick way to get our pictures out of the boxes and on paper.  A quick way to tell our stories.  It is out of all of this thinking that Scrap Express is evolving.

Today, I finished putting together this layout of my trip to Spain.  In order to feed my "artistic" side, I actually made a simple one page layout and coupled it with the Page Pockets.

 

 
 
The Layout on the left side is actually a layout from the CTMH Reflections How To book.  I had always like that book because the layouts are simple and direct.  You say, but it has been discountinued.  Ah....here is your sneek peek for today....Reflections is being brought back in a soft cover format!  To keep the layout simple, I used easy supplies that I had in my stash.  The pattern paper is Dakota...which is one of the paper packets that is being retained in the new Idea Book.  The title is from sponged Chipboard letters, the edges are distressed and there is just a touch of stamping for movement and interest.  Remember, when working on the pocketed side of the layout, remember to think in quadrants.  Small embellishments that don't get to complex but do allow you to have some artistic freedom.  When I think in the quadrants, I want to "give the eye a rest."  Embellishing simply will enhance rather than compete with your pictures.
 

Another important part of this trend in scrapbooking is to "tell your story."  I have to admit that I have always been a weak at journaling.  For this layout, I added a Flip Flap for my story.  By using the Flip Flap, I am able to add more journaling without overloading the eye.
 
I am really beginning to like the way this is developing.  Using a layout and the pockets allows me to quickly scrap more pictures and still be able to use my beloved embellishments and stamps.  I am going to keep working on this.  For Now, Happy Crafting!
 


1 comment:

Francis Ames said...

Hi Cindy,
Love this layout. I like the flip flap and how you created your own embellishments. I think for some people that have 100 pictures and just want to scrapbook lots of pictures in a short amount of time this would work for them. You just have to think in quadrants like you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.
Francis