Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Experimenting with Flip Flaps

A few Idea Books ago, Close To My Heart released a product called "Flip Flaps." These nifty little acetate pockets are 4 x 6 inches and have adhesive so that you can preserve and protect your mementos right on your scrapbook pages. I immediately ran out and bought a set. To date, like so many of the goodies in our stashes, I haven't used them. I was playing around with ideas and came up with this one....hum....wonder if you can heat emboss on acetate??? I had never seen it done, so I set out to give it a try!

First, I decided on the sketch for my card. I found the perfect on on Paper Craft Planet.

Next, I decided on my color theme and papers. I chose Veranda, Creme Brulee, Juniper, Garden Green, Cocoa and Vanilla Cream.

Third was to decide how to make it have a little "Wow Power." I thought about heat embossing the acetate but what do I do underneath the acetate??? I decided to brayer the layer beneath for extra interest.

After the brayering was done, I had to try the heat embossing. I cut the Flip Flap to match the size of the brayered mat. Next I rubbed it with a dryer sheet. I always do this when I heat emboss as it removes the static from the paper or in this case the acetate. The image was stamped with VersaMark and then heat embossed. Here is something I learned the hard way :o). Hold the heat gun as far as possible away from the image. It doesn't melt, but it will "curl." Very very lightly, reshape the heated acetate as it is cooling. And, then assemble your card.





A couple more notes about the card. To make sure that the adhesive doesn't show through the acetate, I squashed glue dots in the corners to hold the mat and the acetate in place as I made the marks for my brads. Once the holes were pierced, I removed the glue dots. The layers of the card are lightly sponged for texture. The ribbon is Creme Brulee from the Veranda Creative Basics Paper Pack.

I was very pleased with the effect. What do you think? For Now, Happy Crafting!

No comments: