Friday, July 16, 2010

Chipboard Is Not Just For Embellishment

One of the things I learned at the recent CTMH Convention was that Chipboard is really hot right now. Chipboard can be used to add depth and interest to our layouts and cards. CTMH makes great chipboard elements called IRRESISTIBLES. These dimensional elements for your projects come in multiple shapes and have a raised area that resists ink. The effect is wonderful. When you sponge on ink a design magically appears!

This was a fun card to make and it highlights the chipboard butterfly used as not only an embellishment but it also holds the card closed!
To make this card, I cut Indian Corn Blue cardstock to measure 11 x 4 1/2 inches and scored at the 2 3/4 and 5 1/2 mark. Buttercup cardstock was cut to measure 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches. I heat embossed the flourishes (from Playful Flourishes...D1212) in Silver Pearl (Z678) embossing powder mixed with Prisma Glitter (Z134.) Next, I cut pattern paper from Sweet Home (X7116B) to measure 2 1/2 x 4 1/4 inches and attached it to the front flap. The sentiment, from So Sweet (C1389) was stamped on White Daisy in Barn Red and matted with Barn Red cardstock. Each layer was lightly sponged with tone on tone ink. I added Sparkles (Z1104) for some extra bling. The flower on the sentiment was punched from a multi-layer punch I have in my stash. Now for the "Irresistible" butterfly...I sponged the center in buttercup and the outer edges with Indian Corn Blue. See how the body and designs on the wings just pop? What a great effect, don't you think? :o) I attached only one half of the piece so that the front of the card would tuck securely under his wing.

And, now for another look at the completed card...

I really enjoy making fun folded cards and using Chipboard really adds interest. For Now, Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

Nancy Keller said...

Fantastic! What a cool idea to use that butterfly to hold the card shut! I am LOVING the Irresistables, in fact, they are the subject for my next VIDEO. :D Hooray!

Sheila Bennett said...

Very nice card. Really like the color combo, and you colored the butterfly beautifully. Great idea for the butterfly to also hold the card closed.