Friday, July 23, 2010

A Watercolor Wash Card with Heat Embossing

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to take 2 great classes with Dave Brethauer owner of The Memory Box Stamp Company. In the first class, he taught us different techniques for using wax based coloring pencils. The second class taught several techniques involving watercolor.


Once home, I was so excited to try all of the fun techniques, I didn't know where to begin. As I thought about it, I came up with an idea using his techniques with a little of my own style thrown in. Splitcoast Stampers also had an interesting challenge posted today. The challenge was to make a card that included only the cool colors of blue, green and purple. (Blue and Green is my favorite color combo.)


Using CTMH re-inkers in Olive and Moonstruck, a water brush and 140# watercolor paper, I completed the background for my heat embossed image. You know, re-inkers aren't only for re-inking your stamp pads....they can be used for dying ribbon, making spray mists, tinting pearl paint...the possibilities are endless. Anyway, once the background was dry, I heat embossed the image from Childhood Portrait (D1373). The edges of my Spring Iris card base along with the Moonstruck layers were sponged and the card was assembled. I added Bitty Sparkles (Z1263) to the corners and tied the White Daisy organdy ribbon. The card was done.




By the way, the sketch for the card is from the "Wishes" Card Confidence book. Jeanette Lynton, Owner and CEO of Close To My Heart has written several how to books that include card and scrapbook layouts and techniques. They are wonderful! Check out my website for more information on how you can get your own copy of "Wishes" and the re-inkers in every beautiful color CTMH makes.

When you discover a new technique, don't be afraid to try it. Play around with what you have learned and make it your own. Visit often as I plan to post tutorials on this technique and many others I have recently learned. For Now, Happy Crafting!

No comments: