Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Paper Folded Man's Shirt

I was busy reviewing the cards that I had for the craft fair/flea market I'm doing next week, and realized that I didn't have any Father's Day cards.  Wanting to do something "different" I decided to do folded men's shirts as the focal point.  I also thought it would be fun to add another card to the Heart 2 Heart Distressing Challenge this week. 
The shirt is made with paper from the CTMH special this month called "Dotty For You."  I read that the inventory on this paper packet is getting very low, so if you don't have it yet, hurry as I doubt that it will be available through the end of the month.  I also used Gray Flannel, Gray Wool White Daisy and Outdoor Denim card stock.  The sentiment is from "Tag The Occasion." and that's the wonderful CTMH Baker's twine.   I found the original directions to fold the shirt on the Scor-Pal website, but as I was trying to do the folding, I realized that a few more measurements and directions were needed.  So here is how I did it...
Start with a Score Board and a 4 x 6 inch sheet of pattern paper.

First, score and fold the paper on the 4 inch side at the one and three inch mark.  Heavily crease all of your folds.

Now, you want to turn your paper and score and fold on the 1/2 inch mark.  Fold it to the opposite side of the folds in your previous set.

Make a very light score mark as a guide for your folding on the 1 1/2 inch mark on the long side of the paper.  Turn over and using the score mark as a guide, carefully fold the points inward to meet the center opening created by your first fold.  Make sure that your folds and points match.  This is the collar of the shirt.


Fold the bottom upward and tuck under the collar points.  Crease heavily.

Using the crease mark you just made, fold the two flaps outward from the center point to the upper edge.  This forms your sleeves.


Last but not least, fold the bottom upward and tuck again under the color points.
  Now you have your shirt! 
To make the tie, cut a piece of card stock 1/2 inch by 1 3/4 inches.  Cut points on one end making sure that your cut marks are equal.  For the knot, cut a  piece of card stock 1/2 inch square and cut it on the diagonal.



This is another card I made using a folded shirt.  The paper used for the shirt is from an old retired set called "Free Spirit." That is Chocolate, Bamboo and Outdoor Denim card stock and "Dad" is from a STOM a few years ago.  Both cards meet the Heart 2 Heart challenge because there is edge distressing, sanding and ink distressing.  I thought about ink distressing the shirt, but thought that it would look like "ring around the collar" so I decided "no."  :o)  Don't forget to check out the Heart 2 Heart challenge blog.  I love these folded shirts and think they would be great on a birthday card, too.  What do you think?  For Now, Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

Haley D. said...

Such a cute card idea for Father's Day! Thanks for sharing them and your tutorial with us at H2H!

Allisa said...

Your folded shirt cards are way cute! I am thinking they will be a big seller! Thanks for playing with us at H2H!

Mary Gunn FUNN said...

Always a FUNN project! Cute way to add distressing, too.
Thanks for playing H2H!