Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Handmade CTMH Card with Background Tutorial

Crafting By Designs, one of my favorite challenge blogs has a really cute challenge running right now.  The challenge is to create a CAS (Clean and Simple) card featuring a sea creature.  Ah....this is the perfect time to try out a new technique I found while stumbling around on the Internet.  The technique uses children's bubbles! 
Children's bubbles you say...She has really gone round the bend this time.  Let me share with you how to make this fun background that is perfect for water scenes.
 
 
First, you need a bottle of bubbles, re-inker, a straw and a container for the mixture.
 
Pour some of the bubbles into your container.  I used one of those foil cupcake holders but you could use a low bowl or cup.  I wouldn't use anything that has high walls.  Using your straw, blow bubbles until they reach the top of the container.
 

Now, lay your card stock over the top of the container.  Glossy card stock works best. 
 
The bubbles will stick to the card stock and all you need to do is pop them with your finger.

 
Repeat the process until you achieve your desired effect.  I used 3 different colors of colors of re-inker to give the ocean effect I wanted for my card.  Set aside to dry.  You can speed the drying process with a heat gun, but be careful not to blow you popped bubbles around the paper.
 
 
Here is the card again and a few more details.  After the bubbles were dried, I used the leaves and stems from the CTMH set called "A Garden" (A1119) to create the seaweed.  "Hello" is also from this set.  This fish and sand on the bottom is from another CTMH set called "Under the Sea" (C1500).  Remember, when working with glossy card stock, use need to use a permanent or pigment ink.  I used the CTMH pigment inks for the seaweed and sand.  The fish is stamped with CTMH Black archival ink and colored with my CTMH alcohol markers.  
 
I love trying new techniques and challenges!  Don't forget to check out Crafting By Designs for other great challenges.  For Now, Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

Life - Up, Down & Sideways said...

Love your card Cindy. I just love how you made the background.

Tammy S.

Sher said...

Cindy, I love this! Thank you for sharing your technique. I can not wait to try!
Hugs - Sharon

Dawn said...

Your project is so pretty! Great technique too!