Friday, February 8, 2013

Mixed Media and CTMH

The Spring/Summer CTMH Idea Book has so many fun items!  One of them is a 6 x 6 Canvas Display (Z1818.)  It is a blank canvas, mounted on wood and ready for you to decorate.  I've seen so many terrific Mixed Media projects and the minute I saw this canvas, I knew it was perfect for that style of project.

 
 
 
I've never done any type of Mixed Media so this was truly an experiment.  Here is how I did this...
 
1.  The canvas was painted with a mixture of CTMH's Pearl Paint (Z1039.)  Pearl Paint is formulated to mix with re-inkers so that you can make any color you want.  It has a nice sheen to it too.  Next, I mixed the paint with Sunset re-inker and unevenly brushed the canvas.  Quickly, I went over the entire area with a foam brush and water.  This mixed the colors in a random pattern right on the canvas.  When it was dry,  I lightly brushed the canvas with a mixture of Pearl Paint and Barn Red re-inker to give the streaked look.
 
2.  While the canvas was drying, I went to work on the other elements... 
a.  The bird image was heat embossed using Barn Red pigment ink (Z2502) and clear embossing powder.  That great image is from Fabulous You (C1533.)  When it cooled, I colored the flowers with the Autumn Terracotta alcohol marker set (Z2427.)  You can see the shading.  The whole image was sponged with Autumn Terracotta and Barn Red.  Lastly, Liquid Glass (Z679) was added to the center of the flowers.
b.  Using the diamond pattern from the Fabulous You stamp set and Autumn Terracotta pigment ink, I heat embossed a pattern directly onto pattern paper that is in the Clementine paper packet (X7156B.)
c.  The edges were edge distressing using the Distressing Tool (Z1297.)
d.  I assembled the project onto the dry canvas using aLiquid Glass.  First I wrapped Natural Hemp (Z280) around the Clementine strip.  The metal embellishments on that strip are from the Antique Gold Mini-Medley Assortment (Z1786) and the squares are from Square Studs (Z1705.)
 
I have never tried anything like this before and it was fun.  We often don't think of CTMH and Mixed Media together.  That is why I added all of the product numbers.  There are many products that work really well for a mixed media project.  Don't be afraid to try something different.  CTMH makes creating so easy.  By the way, the sketch I used for this project is actually a 6 x 6 card from the Originals Book (9036.)  Check out my website for these and all of the great products in the new Spring/Summer Idea Book.  For Now, Happy Crafting!
 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cindy That turned out beautiful I knew you would come up with something awesome, :)