Saturday, February 12, 2011

All That Glitters...a City Crafter Challenge Blog Card

I am really enjoying the City Crafter Challenge Blog's weekly challenges. I missed last week due to "circumstances" but I have been able to complete a card for the most recent challenge. This week's challenge was harder than it sounds....complete a card using Gold and Silver. Hum...gold and silver...I mix those colors all the time when I am too forgetful to change my earrings, but try and coordinate in into a card? I am not afraid to say that I played with this card for 2 days before I came up with the completed project.

The Wedding Cake image was heat embossed in gold, cut out and colored. I used shades of pink for the roses and colored the draped icing with a silver metallic pen (doesn't look shinny in the pix but you will have to trust me it sparkles in real life.) Silver Sparkles were also added. The mat that the card was placed on was a mulit-step process. First I stamped the flourish in the corner. Next, the entire mat was randomly "stamped" with Liquid Glass using a piece of crumpled plastic wrap. When that was dry, I sponged the entire area with a combination of Gray Flannel and Bamboo inks. The dried Liquid Glass creates an ink resist for the sponging. The edge was highlighted using Black ink. The pattern paper is from a CTMH packet called Bliss. The ribbon for the gold knot was attached using silver photo clips. A pink, silver and crystal floral pick was added to the knot. The pick was bent to mimic the flourish in the cake.


So, the gold on the card is the heat embossed cake and ribbon. The silver is the flourish, bling, floral pick and photo clips...whew... :o) I think the cake's mat combined with the pattern paper sort of looks like wallpaper at a Wedding Reception Hall. What do you think? :o)


Definitely a harder challenge than it sounds but I had fun "agonizing" over the card. BTW - a special thanks to my friend Jenny. She helped me work out the all the details on the card this afternoon. Don't forget to check out the City Crafter Challenge Blog. The ladies do a terrific job. For Now, Happy Crafting!



6 comments:

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is elegant and beautiful, perfect for this week challenge, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Ros said...

What a beautiful cake!! this is such a pretty card ... thanks so much for playing along at CCCB

Unknown said...

Your card is so beautiful, and so elegant. Thanks for playing along with us over at CCCB!

Jenny McGee said...

This card looks beautiful. Your photo does not do it justice. I had a fun time at your house on Sat.

cnelson said...

Absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for joining us at CCCB!

Shirley said...

Who wouldn't want to receive this!!